Sunday, October 17, 2010

Taking Your Place with You

Over on the BobBreedlove blog, I talked about my ideal Netbook/tablet. It's a mobile place. One thing I didn't mention was battery life. I would like about 5-8 hours to make sure that I can attend meetings, go to the library, and generally be in other physical places for a good amount of time before needing to plug in. I purchased a 9 cell battery for my current Acer netbook. This gives me just under 8 hours of moderate use before I have to plug it back in. I find this sufficient to go to most meetings, sit at a coffee shop, etc. for the type of content creation work that I normally do. I can browse the Internet through WiFi and get the things done that I want to accomplish. It is a bit big, but I don't mind that. The battery actually puts the keyboard at a good angle when the netbook is on a table as it is where I normally work. It actually makes the system easier to carry around the office where I use OneNote for taking notes at meetings. I'd like a bit faster machine, but all-in-all, this is working well. (I have just added Ubuntu Linux to the machine to see how that works. Unless I find an equivalent for OneNote, however, I don't think I'll switch from XP as my primary operating system.)

No comments:

Post a Comment