Monday, October 31, 2016

Don't Decide the Order

HEY, Social media!

Don't use some fancy algorithm to decide the order in which I see things. I don't need any AI or other technology to decide what's important for me. I like to see things in the order in which they were posted--that's it.

If you want to insert an ad or promoted site, that's OK. I understand that your primary goal is not to provide me with information, but to make as much profit as you can. I can ignore those things easily.

But don't decide to rearrange the order of things just because I have looked up something or bought something. Because I buy toilet paper online, doesn't mean that I'm interested in toilet paper in any way other than it's utilitarian use. Just because I look at some electronic gadget, doesn't mean that I can afford or am even interested in some other similar gadget.

Just because I read an article about someone or something doesn't mean that I have a broad interest in some other thing that might be vaguely related to that article of make some corporation more profit.

Just keep the most recent things, the most recent. There is no need to rearrange things when I say I want to see the most recently posted articles. You won't get my dollar by doing that.

Don't mess with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment