Sunday, August 7, 2011

Social Media Newbies

I'm convinced that the only people who follow me on Twitter are people who want my business. OK, there may be a few others like family or friends, but not many. You can tell the newbies. You get a notice they are following you and you wonder why. So you bop on over to their page, take a look around . . . and you still wonder why.

OK, they grabbed everyone in a geographic area or who even remotely did something related to their business or is male, or . . . The idea seems to follow me so I will blindly follow them, see their tweets about their product or service and be tempted to buy their product or service.

Well, here are a couple of tips for anyone doing this . . .

  1. Don't assume that I will follow you just because you follow me.
    Quantity is not my motive. I really don't care how many followers I have or how many people I follow. I'm more interested in following people who have something to say that I am interested in.
  2. If you do want to get me to follow you, say something I'm interested in.
    No, your next sale isn't interesting to me, but maybe something about what you do IS.
After all, it's social media, not sales media. You will get my interest by having something interesting to say--by telling me something helpful that I don't need to buy to know. By doing that, you are showing me your expertise and peaking my interest in the area you are selling into. Maybe even eventually getting my business.

Which, after all, is your sole reason for following me in the first place . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment