Saturday, April 26, 2014

Recent "Place" Updates

So my Dell Venue 8 upgraded to Windows 8.1 and I didn't really know for sure. After a long "don't stop your computer..." session, I did see some minor differences. For example, when I went to the top of the application to drag it closed, a bar appears which allows me to click the "X" in the right rather than dragging to the bottom, but that's about it for now.

The performance does seem to be a bit better than it was also. But, I'm not really sure about that. I still like the Dell and, in general, am OK with Windows.

On my netbook, Ubuntu upgraded to 14.04.Much like Windows, I haven't seen much change. Now, admittedly, I don't do a bunch of customization on the system, so I may not be getting the "full benefit" of the upgrade. Performance on the underpowered Acer is OK, however for what I do, so I'm happy with that upgrade also.

I think, here, I should mention something about my philosophy about computers. I don't use them for the operating system. The operating system is a home for the applications that I run. It needs to get me to the applications and stay out of the way. That's it. It's OK, if it looks good and works elegantly, but, I don't do ANYTHING there except start the applications I'm interested in. And, oh yeah, it needs to connect to the Internet and the devices I want to use. It needs to do this as consistently and with as little mucking around as possible. In this way, I think that Apple has it together. Don't bother me with configuring, running jobs or whatever, just do it. When I want to print, find the printer and print the page--that's all.

Both systems seem to have it together in that respect, so I'm OK with them.

Well, now that I know what operating systems I'm using, perhaps I'll have more to say about them later. Right now, they are out of my way and I'm doing my thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment