Wednesday, November 20, 2019

On-Call, something I will NOT miss in retirement

I'm sitting here listening to a network maintenance call after hours. Being on-call is DEFINITELY something I will not miss in retirement. After I retire, I look forward to being able to stay up late, get up late, and not be interrupted by a phone call in the middle of the night.

For the 22 years I have been at the California ISO, I have been on-call. Sometimes for weeks at a time. Luckily our on-call rotations are generally not a problem as we don't get calls. But, the very fact that we are on call causes some consternation as you are always expecting a call. And, while you are on call, there are things that you can't do and, you have to respond within an SLA to a call.

So, my personal on-call will start on 1-Jan-2020, but, hopefully, it will only be for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment